Laramie Montessori School is a charter school within Albany County School District #1. A charter school is a public school that operates largely independent of the District’s administrative structure, although it receives state funds and must follow state and federal law for public schools. Since LMS is a public school, it is tuition free for all students in Albany County, and it has no religious or political orientation. LMS is part of the District and operates with ACSD#1 oversight, but it uses a different curriculum, has a separate budget, and has an independent governance system. LMS’s operating guidelines are laid out in Wyoming’s Charter School Act (Wyoming Statutes 21-3-301 through 21-3-401), and in the five-year charter signed with the District. A copy of the charter, contract, and bylaws are available for review in the LMS main office and on this site under "Charter Documents".
- August 25th, 2014 we opened for our fourth year of operation with students and 5 classrooms (1 Kindergarten - 2 Lower Elementary [1st through 3rd grade] - 2 Upper Elementary [4th through 6th grade].
- August 25th, 2011 School opens with 51 students
- Summer 2011 Staff is hired
- April 2011 Lottery process implemented and first placements in the school offered.
- February 2011 LMCO obtains approval from the ACSD#1 School Board to open a public charter school.
- October 2010 LMCO is granted $377,000 through the Federal School’s Program Grant
– They begin disseminating information, assessing interest, networking with the community and searching for a site.
- August 2008 Laramie Montessori Community Organization (LMCO) is formed.
- Sept. 2007 Parents begin talking about creating a Montessori elementary school in Laramie.
Elizabeth Coffey: School Director
Visit the School – Call 742-2554